Chaga is an amazing mushroom that has been all over the internet at the moment – and for good reason…
The chaga mushroom is commonly found on birch trees (and a few others) and has been used for centuries due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
Tzar Vladmir Monamakh, a 12th Century Russian emperor, even claimed it was a tea made from chaga that got rid of his lip tumours!
This absolutely incredible mushroom is a powerhouse of health boosting properties including;
- Incredible antioxidant effects. In fact it is one of the most powerful antioxidants on Mother Earth!
- High in B, D vitamins, Zinc, Iron, Calcium, Copper and more
- An amazing adaptogen!
- There are studies on its potential to help fighting cancerous tumours
- Immune support
- Helps to relieve adrenal fatigue
What is Jun?
Jun is honey-based kombucha ferment.
Traditionally, kombucha is made from fermenting a sugar sweetened strong tea with a SCOBY (symbiotic culture of bacteria & yeast) until it becomes a probiotic rich, tangy and lightly carbonated drink.
Jun, is a very similar process, but instead of using sugar you use honey. This gives it a whole other level of goodness and an even more complex depth of flavour. It is considered the champagne of kombucha in the fermenting world!
This is our Chaga mushroom Jun recipe. A powerful, delicious health boosting drink that we hope you will love!
This recipe is for approx. 2ltr of Chaga Jun.
You will need:
– 2 heaped tsp. powdered Chaga
– 4tbsp loose green tea (of your choice)
– 1/2 cup honey (we recommend using highest quality honey you can afford)
– 2ltr filtered water
– 1 cup of previously made plain Jun
– 1 Jun SCOBY (you can find these online or ask around in Facebook groups etc)
– A clean jar big enough for your total volume of Jun
Leave for 7-10 days in a warm place to ferment.
Once fully fermented, bottle up into swing top, Grolsch style bottles and leave in a warm place to build up some carbonation.
After a couple of days pop your bottles into the fridge and drink chilled.
Chaga Jun is an amazing adaptogenic, probiotic rich tonic – great for whenever you are feeling a little down, stressed out or just need a refreshing drink.
We hope you love this recipe, let us know if you try it out!
The Plant Path Folk